Lead Counsel – Professional Conduct
ICCRC, which will become the College of Immigration and Citizenship Consultants this fall, is looking for an organized and proactive Lead Counsel (Professional Conduct) who will be responsible for leading and managing members of the discipline team and represent ICCRC in proceedings.
The Lead Counsel will work under the general direction of the Director of Professional Conduct and exercise initiative and independent judgment in the performance of assigned tasks. This role manages the discipline team which includes lawyers, a law clerk and a law student.
Responsibilities Include (but are not limited to)
- Lead prioritization, strategy, and management of discipline matters.
- Manage and provide instructions to external counsel.
- Manage timeframes to ensure deadlines are met.
- Prepare for oral and written proceedings (evidence review, witness preparation, legal research, drafting submissions).
- Attend pre-hearing conferences, motions, hearings, and conduct settlement discussions.
- Attend Federal Court for judicial reviews and appeals.
- Be responsible and accountable for the successful leadership, mentorship and management of the discipline team (comprising 3 lawyers, a law clerk and a law student).
Required Education and Experience
- Law degree and licence to practise in a Canadian province
- 10+ years litigation or prosecution experience gained through private legal practice or in a regulatory environment
- Thorough understanding of professional regulation and administrative law
- Strong ability to build and lead an effective and engaged team to positive results
- Ability to manage a high-volume, complex, and diverse caseload
- Strong advocacy and litigation skills
- Experience in immigration law, an asset
- Knowledge of a variety of dispute resolution techniques
- Strong project management and coaching skills
- Proactive and forward-thinking approach to work
- Strong decision and problem-solving skills with a consultative approach
- Strong critical thinking, judgment, and analysis skills
- Fluency in French, an asset
- Work Location: During the COVID-19 pandemic, in order to keep all our candidates safe, ICCRC is hiring and onboarding 100% remotely for the time being
How to Apply
Click here to upload your resume and brief cover letter indicating why you feel you are fit for this role.
ICCRC is an equal opportunity employer. We welcome applications from persons legally entitled to work in Canada, who represent the diversity of our nation, and whose qualifications meet the skills and experiences we seek. We are committed to providing equal opportunities to all candidates and to meeting the needs of people with disabilities. Should you be contacted regarding an employment opportunity and require an accommodation for a disability, we will be pleased to work with you to identify how we can best support you through this process.
A police record check is required from the successful candidate prior to hiring.
While we thank all applicants for their interest, only those identified for further consideration will be contacted.