The Safety, Licensing Appeals and Standards Tribunals Ontario (SLASTO) has a challenging opportunity for a strategic thinker with highly developed leadership skills to manage the provision of legal and strategic policy advice to the Executive Chair, SLASTO and its constituent tribunals.
What can I expect to do in this role?
Reporting to the Executive Lead and accountable to the Executive Chair, your duties will include:
• Serving as counsel to the Executive Chair, SLASTO within a solicitor–client relationship
• Leading a team of highly skilled legal professionals (in both unionized and excluded positions)
• Providing expert legal advice to provide quality assurance and maintain and enhance the consistency and coherence of Tribunal decisions, adjudicative processes and dispute resolution processes
• Overseeing investigations and prosecutions under the Police Services Act at the direction of the Executive Chair, SLASTO
• Representing, or overseeing the representation of SLASTO and its tribunals before the Courts, for appeals, judicial review applications and various court-related matters
• Reviewing and/or drafting contracts, agreements and internal policies and ensuring that they are in compliance with all statutory or legal requirements
• Monitoring trends in decisions and evolving jurisprudence for use in adjudicator training, and for targeting emerging legal and policy issues
• Providing leadership and direction in the preparation and delivery of orientation sessions and continuing education for Tribunal Members, Vice-Chairs and staff, including topics such as: legislation, rules and practice directions, case law, conduct of hearings, and decision writing
• Representing SLASTO at public symposia, conferences, and provincial and national meetings of organizations/practitioners, and other fora involving issues related to SLASTO, establishing contacts/networks, and delivering presentations
• Developing, managing, and growing complex relationships with multiple constituencies on behalf of SLASTO
• Cultivating a work environment that values respect, diversity and inclusion
• Contributing as a key member of the SLASTO executive management team
How do I qualify?
Mandatory- Membership in good standing as a lawyer with the Law Society of Ontario
Knowledge and Skills
• Relationship management, communication and presentation skills necessary for interaction with all levels of government, the judicial system and a variety of stakeholders
• Demonstrated knowledge and experience in administrative law and administrative justice principles, practices and procedures, including Rules of Procedure, alternative adjudicative processes, tribunal structure and design
• Knowledge and understanding of alternative dispute resolution, rules of evidence, constitutional law, and the Charter and familiarity with the legal subject areas in which SLASTO operates
• Demonstrated success in managing and conducting a variety of litigation matters and in overseeing investigations
• Demonstrated litigation experience before the courts and tribunals
• Demonstrated legal acuity and sound professional judgment to interpret and evaluate law and facts
• Demonstrated legal research, analytical, reasoning and evaluation skills, to provide comprehensive senior-level legal and policy opinions, information and training
• Proven oral and written communications, including excellent advocacy skills and knowledge of alternative dispute resolution (ADR) and mediation practices
• Knowledge of policy development, to lead the development of a comprehensive set of legally-related policies, standards and procedures for SLASTO and to ensure consistent compliance with legal standards
• Managerial and supervisory skills and knowledge of related legislation, collective agreements, administrative policies and procedures
Salary: commensurate with legal experience
1 Temporary, duration up to 12 months (with possibility of extension), 438 University Ave, Toronto, Toronto Region, General Screening Requirement
In accordance with the Ontario Public Service Employment Screening Checks Policy, the top candidate(s) may be required to undergo a security screening check. Please refer to the Additional Information / Address section above to determine the screening checks that are required for this position.
You will be responsible for obtaining the criminal record check at your own expense and provide it, along with your written consent, to the Transition and Security Office (TSO), HR Service Delivery Division to evaluate the results. If applicable, the TSO, with your written consent, will request and obtain any additional screening checks as indicated in the Additional Information / Address section above that were not obtained directly by you. (Note: If a Vulnerable Sector Screening/Check is required, it must also be obtained in person at your local police service.)
A record under the Criminal Code and/or other federal offence record(s) does not automatically mean you will be ineligible for the position. The screening check(s) will only be reviewed and evaluated by the TSO for the purpose of making a security clearance decision. The details of an individual's screening check(s) will be considered in specific relation to the duties and responsibilities of the position being filled. Screening check records will be maintained by the TSO and kept strictly confidential.
Your application and cover letter must be sent as an attachment in either MS Word (.doc, .docx), PDF (.pdf), Rich Text (.rtf) or Plain Text (.txt) format, less than 2MB in size and must not be password protected
Please apply by Monday, February 26, 2018, quoting Job ID 119766, to: Legal Recruitment Coordinator, Ministry of the Attorney General. E-mail: CSMD.HR.LegalCompeti@ontario.ca