TCO LAWYER LEVEL 2
Organization: Workplace Safety and Insurance Appeals Tribunal
Division: Appeal Services
City: Toronto, ON
Job Term: 1 permanent
Job Code: WL2
Salary Range: $133,244- $176,208 per annum
Posting Status: Open
The Workplace Safety and Insurance Appeals Tribunal (WSIAT) is a highly specialized adjudicative tribunal that hears appeals of final decisions of the Workplace Safety and Insurance Board. We are looking for a motivated professional for the position of TCO Lawyer Level 2, in the Tribunal Counsel Office. In this role you will provide legal advice in relation to WSIAT appeals and to the entire Tribunal for general corporate matters affecting WSIAT’s day-to-day operations.
What can I expect to do in this role?
Working with a small, collegial group of lawyers, the position requires:
- Representing the Tribunal in judicial review applications and various court-related matters
- Providing legal advice and training for WSIAT corporate functions including labour and employment issues, contracts and procurement, accessibility, security, privacy and overall corporate governance issues.
- Appearing as neutral legal counsel at Tribunal hearings on request from WSIAT Adjudicators to advise and assist with questioning witnesses, interpreting Tribunal policy, procedures and practice and making neutral submissions (either orally or written) on complex points of law or novel issues.
- Providing support for the WSIAT’s own adjudication, including conducting pre-hearing and post-hearing inquiries and acting as a legal resource for WSIAT staff
- Representing and helping to build the public presence of the Tribunal at external public speaking engagements, membership in external groups and internal governmental events
How do I qualify?
- Licensed to practice law by the Law Society of Upper Canada
- Proficiency in English at the advanced level
- Extensive experience in litigation in Ontario courts, including drafting and appearing on applications for judicial review, motions, actions, and discoveries
- Labour and employment law experience
- Experience with government procurement and corporate governance is an asset
- Knowledge of principles of Canadian administrative law and experience in the practice of Canadian administrative law, including appearing before provincial or federal administrative tribunals
- Knowledge of Ontario workplace safety and insurance law is an asset
Communication and Interpersonal Skills:
- Ability to act in a neutral role in WSIAT hearings
- Tact, sensitivity to concerns of injured workers and employers
- Advanced written and oral communications skills
Analytical and Organizational Skills:
- Work requires the ability to identify/analyze complex legal and medical issues, interpret legislation, regulations and policies, and prepare/present legal arguments at hearings and in court and provide practical legal advice to corporate clients
Address: 505 University Avenue, Toronto
Compensation Group: WL2
Posted on: September 2, 2021
How to Apply:
- Submit resume with cover letter, quoting file #WSIAT 14/21 to: Human Resources, Workplace Safety and Insurance Appeals Tribunal, 505 University Ave., 7th Fl., Toronto, ON M5G 2P2. Fax: 416-326-0115. Email: Human.Resources@wst.gov.on.ca. Please select only one method to submit your resume with cover letter.
- Customize your cover letter and resume to the qualifications listed on the job ad. Using concrete examples, you must show how you demonstrated the requirements for this job. We rely on the information you provide to us. In your cover letter please include a brief paragraph on why you feel you are the best candidate for the position.
- If you require a disability related accommodation in order to participate in the recruitment process, please contact us at Human.Resources@wst.gov.on.ca to provide your contact information. Recruitment staff will contact you within 48 hours.
Remember: The deadline to apply is Thursday Sept 23, 2021 11:59 pm EDT. Late applications will not be accepted. We thank you for your interest. Only those selected for further screening or an interview will be contacted
FOR MORE INFORMATION CLICK HERE .https://www.wsiat.on.ca/en/home/currentJob.html
The Workplace Safety and Insurance Appeals Tribunal is an inclusive employer.
Accommodation is available under the Ontario Human Rights Code.