Tribunal Counsel, Hearings Office
Apply here: https://bit.ly/3ke2yth
One-year Contract Position
The Discipline Committee of the College of Physicians and Surgeons of Ontario is seeking counsel to support multiple aspects of the Committee’s work. The Discipline Committee is an independent quasi-judicial administrative tribunal that processes, hears and decides allegations of professional misconduct against physicians and surgeons. In this role, you will use your strong experience in administrative law, passion for good writing and ability to analyze issues from a neutral, independent perspective to support the Committee.
You will review and edit draft decisions, advise staff on case processing issues and provide legal advice to the Chair. You will also draft orders, support and assist adjudicators, work on the development of educational programs and materials and participate in policy and rule development.
Using plain language, you will also be responsible for preparing public register summaries of decisions and website content, ensuring publicly available information is understandable, current and accurate.
- An LL.B or JD degree and a Class L1 license from the Law Society of Ontario
- At least five years’ experience working within or before tribunals and/or regulators
- In-depth knowledge and understanding of administrative law
- Highly proficient editorial, legal research, analysis and writing skills with strong attention to detail and accuracy
- Experience drafting and/or editing decisions and familiarity with issues-based reason writing is preferred.
- Knowledge of best practices and innovative approaches in administrative tribunals and adaptiveness to change
- Exceptional oral and written communication skills
- Demonstrated interpersonal skills
- Sound and strategic judgment in developing, analyzing and applying complex information
- Ability to work to tight deadlines
- Proficiency with technology
- French-language abilities are a strong asset
Please apply via our website with a cover letter and cv of no more than 5 pages by March 7th, 2021 at 11:59pm.